Monday, April 13, 2009

The Witch Seekers

This is something I wrote over 20 years ago. It still resonates with me because I am somewhat of an introvert. Yet, I long not to be. But I am what I am.


Photo --"In a cabin in the woods" by ktylerconk@flickr


The Witch Seekers

Part I
Autumn came;
It was time to go,
A journey to my cabin retreat.
Late afternoon arrival,
The sun setting in the West,
A hike through the woods
To my one wood shanty
To find an oak bed and an old wood stove,
The comforts of home.
Unpacked and fed,
I laze in front of the fire, waiting--
Waiting for winter's sleep,
My hour of quiet alert,
That dormant state that contains my survival--
Life frozen in a dream state.

Part II

Awakened by voices,
Quick and muffled,
And laughter--
It's the laughter of children;
It must be them again.
I stand wrapping my blanket about me,
Moving slowly to the door.
The iron latch is cold.
I pull the door toward me
Opening my quiet world
And letting in the chilled wind.

Yes, it's the children.
Their chatter stops at the sound of the door;
Like startled birds, they look up
But don't fly.
I clear my throat--frowning
Aware of my power over them,
I smile and brighten my face,
Like adjusting a kerosene lamp.
It doesn't work.
"Hello," I say,
More a question that a greeting.

Silence--
Then a nudge,
The youngest one speaks,
His small red face stares up at me,
Wanting to look through me
And around me
And into my world.
"Ah...are you..." he's nudged again.
"Are you a witch?"
They freeze--
At the unspeakable voiced.
I stare.
The tension builds.
I smile
Before they scatter like leaves in the wind.
"No. I'm not a witch. I just like being alone."
My words sound feeble even to me.
They don't buy it.
They shrug and back away down the wooded path.
They think that I'll cast a spell on them,
If they show fear.
They're brave.
I admire them; they face their fear.
I try to sleep mine away.

Suddenly, the sleepiness leaves me.
My stomach growls.
It takes me to the kitchen.
I fix a sandwich and sip my tea.
Out of the window, I can see the children--
A brave troop.
I wish I could join them,
Laughing, playing and running in the leaves.
When I grow up,
I'd like to be just like them.


Photo--"Misty Forest" by
Pareerica@flickr

2 comments:

  1. C, that was really great. I think I have those days too, but usually I don't have the alone part. My girls play loudly; not quiet at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you matched the photos with the poetry segments :)

    ReplyDelete